Sunday, January 19, 2014

Welcome to Words on Words

I'm Chase Robinson. I'm a journalism student, bibliophile and extraordinarily novice linguist.
This is a blog about words. Specifically, this is a blog about storytelling and language.
I'll be posting about genre, journalism and the theoretical implications of the increasing acceptance of the word "ya'll" in the United States.
My interest in language started when I was only four or five. I've dabbled in Spanish, Latin, French, German, Greek and Japanese just enough to realize how very little I know (and then forget all of it).
I'm fascinated with tidbits of linguistic trivia.
For instance, in Biblical Greek "ποταμóς" (something like "potamos") means river, but the Potomac River has nothing to do with it. Instead, the Potomac takes its name from a Native American tribe.
I also spend a lot of time thinking about things like whether the separation of children's literature from the rest of the written word is helpful or harmful.
For more words on words, check http://afewwordsonwords.blogspot.com/ weekly.

No comments:

Post a Comment